After a flood, modifying your behaviour accordingly can minimise the extent of incurred losses and avoid further damage. Points to observe:
- Do not reconnect power circuits or gas supplies until the lines and appliances have been inspected by an expert.
- Thoroughly flush drinking water pipes and, if in doubt, boil water before using it.
- Initiate clearing, cleaning and drying works as soon as possible.
- Do not pump water from the basement until the groundwater level is lower than the basement floor.
- Report damage to the buildings insurer. Do not remove damaged parts of buildings, fixtures, fittings or furniture until they have been inspected by the insurance experts.
- Learn from your personal experience and take action as necessary for future flood events (see " Recommendations for action before a flood").
- Consult experts on measures to prevent future damage.