Storms can sweep through the land with very high wind speeds and strong gusts. They can carry objects along with them, rip off roof tiles, topple trees and create large waves on lakes. You should therefore avoid being outdoors in strong winds if possible.
Recommended action during strong winds:
- Keep an eye on local weather developments, and act appropriately, according to the information you receive on the conditions;
- Heed the push notifications on the MeteoSwiss App;
- Pay attention to storm warnings on lakes
- Avoid any activities on waters
- Avoid staying outdoors if possible;
- Stay away from forests and forest edges, exposed trees and groups of trees;
- Keep away from electricity poles and pylons (whether standing or fallen);
- Do not drive along forest roads or tree-lined avenues;
- Keep off exposed places such as roofs, protruding parts of buildings and rock ledges;
- Watch out for falling objects (roof tiles, branches, electric cables etc.);
- Do not repair damage to buildings and infrastructure (e.g. fallen tiles) during the storm, but wait until it has passed.
- Always follow the official advice.