Even after the rain has abated or stopped, streams and rivers will still be very high . You should therefore continue to take extra care until the flood risk has passed.
Advice on what to do after a heavy downpour or continuous heavy rainfall:
- Keep an eye on local weather developments, and act appropriately, according to the information you receive on the conditions;
- Stay away from water (as well as dry river or stream beds) and from shores and river banks;
- Avoid steeply sloping terrain;
- Mudslides are still a possibility along steep watercourses in the Alps, and these areas should be avoided until the high water has abated .
- Avoid bridges where there is flooding.