Current natural hazards situation in Switzerland
Explanation of the danger level 1:
- Avalanches: no danger
- Earthquakes: may be perceptible
- Floods: transport disruption and damage are not normally to be expected.
- Forest fires: small fires cannot be entirely ruled out
- Meteorological phenomena: no (particular) danger, no warnings in place
Explanation of the danger level 2:
- Avalanches: very little danger
- Earthquakes: felt across a wide area, no likelihood of damage to buildings
- Floods: rivers are unlikely to burst their banks and floods are unlikely but not impossible
- Forest fires: local fires can start spontaneously
- Meteorological phenomena that are normal for the respective season
Explanation of the danger level 3:
- Avalanches: exposed objects (mostly sections of transportation routes) can be endangered
- Earthquakes: felt across a wide area, likelihood of minor damage to buildings
- Floods: rivers may burst their banks locally in exposed places and flooding may occur.
- Forest fires: surface fires are likely
- Meteorological phenomena of an intensity slightly superior to the normal
Explanation of the danger level 4:
- Avalanches: exposed objects (mostly sections of transportation routes, but in isolated cases also buildings) can be endangered
- Earthquakes: felt strongly, likelihood of damage to buildings
- Floods: rivers may increasingly burst their banks and flooding may occur
- Forest fires: surface fires are very likely
- Meteorological phenomena of unusual intensity
Explanation of the danger level 5:
- Avalanches: transportation routes and settlements can be seriously endangered
- Earthquakes: felt strongly, high likelihood of widespread and severe damage to buildings
- Floods: rivers may burst their banks and flooding may occur in many places
- Forest fires: fires can start at any time
- Meteorological phenomena of very high intensity
Obey in any event the orders issued by your local authorities and be prepared for exceptional measures.
Current warnings issued for Switzerland(8 Messages) hide
Forest fire: Considerable danger, level 3Effective from: 10.09.2021Measures such as fire bans are imposed by the cantons. These measures may vary from canton to canton.Affected regionsBinn - Simplon north (VS), Riddes - Saxon (VS), Simplon south (VS), Sion - Sierre - Leuk (VS), Visp - Brig - Aletsch (VS), Zermatt - Saastal (VS), Äusseres Nikolaital - Turmanntal (VS)0:Forestfire:3:ForestFire:2402,2412,2404,2408,2401,2406,2403:
Forest fire: Moderate danger, level 2Effective from: 20.09.2021Measures such as fire bans are imposed by the cantons. These measures may vary from canton to canton.Affected regionsBergün Filisur (GR), Domleschg (GR), Engiadina Ota / Oberengadin (GR), Prättigau (GR), Rheintal (GR), Samnaun (GR), Schams - Albula (GR), Schanfigg (GR), Scuol-Valsot (GR), Surselva bassa (GR), Surses (GR), Tavau - Klosters (GR), Val Müstair (GR), Val Poschiavo / Puschlav (GR), Zernez (GR)1:Forestfire:2:ForestFire:1008,1004,1015,1001,1000,1019,1005,1003,1013,1011,1007,1002,1018,1017,1014:
Forest fire: Moderate danger, level 2Effective from: 10.09.2021Measures such as fire bans are imposed by the cantons. These measures may vary from canton to canton.Affected regionsAnniviers (VS), Anzère - Montana - Leukerbad (VS), Chablais (VS), Fully - Chamoson (VS), Goms (VS), Lötschental (VS), Martigny - Trient (VS), Val d'Entremont (VS), Val d'Hérens - Val d'Hérémence (VS), Val d'Illiez (VS), Val de Bagnes (VS), Vernayaz - St-Maurice (VS)2:Forestfire:2:ForestFire:2407,2409,2418,2411,2400,2405,2415,2414,2410,2417,2413,2416:
Forest fire: Moderate danger, level 2Effective from: 09.09.2021Affected regionsCanton of Basel-Land3:Forestfire:2:ForestFire:400:
Forest fire: Moderate danger, level 2Effective from: 09.09.2021Affected regionsCanton of Basel-Stadt4:Forestfire:2:ForestFire:500:
Forest fire: Moderate danger, level 2Effective from: 02.09.2021Affected regionsDorneck / Thierstein (SO), Jura Südfuss - Olten (SO), Jura Südfuss - Solothurn (SO), Olten - Mittelland (SO), Solothurn - Mittelland (SO), Thal (SO)5:Forestfire:2:ForestFire:1805,1802,1803,1801,1800,1804:
Forest fire: Moderate danger, level 2
Avalanches:In the summer and autumn, avalanche bulletins are published only in the event of heavy snowfall.
Even if the SLF does not publish an avalanche bulletin, due consideration is to be given to the avalanche situation especially if snow has fallen recently.
The criteria governing the publication of an avalanche bulletin in the summer and autumn are described in the Interpretation Guide.
Depending on the snow and avalanche situation, the regular publication of avalanche bulletin recommences in November/December.Affected regionsAdelboden, Aigle-Leysin, Ajoie, Albulatal, Alpstein – Alvier, alto Moesano, Appenzell Alps, Arolla, Avers, Basel, basso Moesano, Bernina region, Bex-Villars, Bienne - Neuchâtel, Binntal, Bisistal, Bivio, Blüemlisalp, Brienz-Interlaken, Calanda, Central Glarus, Conthey-Fully, Corvatsch, Davos, Delémont - Bellelay, Domleschg – Lenzerheide, Eastern Bernese Prealps, Eastern Silvretta, Emosson, Engelberg, Engstligen, Flims, Flumserberg, Franches-Montagnes, Gadmertal, Gersau, Glaubenberg, Grimsel Pass, Grindelwald, Gruyère, Gstaad, Guttannen, Génépi, Hasliberg – Rosenlaui, Haut Val de Bagnes, Hohgant, Iffigen, Jaun, Jungfrau – Schilthorn, Kandersteg, Konkordia region, La Chaux-de-Fonds - Le Locle, Laufental, Lauterbrunnen, Lenk, Leuk, Leukerbad - Lötschental, Liechtenstein, Lower Val Poschiavo, Lower Valle Leventina, Lower Valle Maggia, Lower Valleys of Visp, Lugano area, Maderanertal, Martigny-Verbier, Mattmark, Meiental, Melchtal, Mendrisio area, Montana, Monte Rosa, Monthey-Val d'Illiez, Mountet, Moutier - Tavannes, Niedersimmental, Northern Glarus, Northern Obergoms, Northern Prättigau, Northern Simplon region, Northern Tujetsch, Northern Urseren, Oberes Baselbiet, Obersaxen – Safien Valley, Obersimmental, Olten-Gösgen, Pays d'Enhaut, Pilatus, Reckingen, Rheinfelden, Rheinwald, Riederalp, Riviera, Rothenthurm, Saas Fee, Saint-Cergue, Samnaun, Sarganserland, Savognin, Schams, Schanfigg, Schreckhorn, Schwarzenberg, Schächental, Southern Glarus-Grosstal, Southern Glarus-Sernftal, Southern Obergoms, Southern Prättigau, Southern Simplon region, Southern Tujetsch, Southern Urseren, St Moritz, Stoos, Sur Tasna, Thal, Toggenburg, Turtmanntal, Upper Val Poschiavo, Upper Valle Leventina, Upper Valle Maggia, Uri Rotstock, Val Bedretto, Val Blenio, Val Bregaglia, Val Chamuera, Val d'Anniviers, Val d'Entremont-Val Ferret, Val d'Hérens, Val dal Spöl, Val de Ruz - Colombier, Val de Travers, Val Müstair, Val S-charl, Val Sumvitg, Val Suot, Vallon de Saint-Imier, Vallée de Joux, Vaud Prealps, Vouvry, Western Bernese Prealps, Western Silvretta, Wildhorn, Ybrig, Yverdon - Bevaix, Zermatt, Zervreila, Zuoz7:Avalanches:-1:SLF:1111,1112,1113,1114,1121,1122,1211,1212,1213,1221,1222,1223,1224,1225,1226,1227,1228,1231,1232,1233,1234,1241,1242,1243,1244,1245,1246,1247,1311,1312,2111,2112,2121,2122,2123,2124,2131,2132,2133,2134,2211,2212,2221,2222,2223,2224,3111,3112,3113,3114,3211,3221,3222,3223,3224,3311,4111,4112,4113,4114,4115,4116,4121,4122,4123,4124,4125,4211,4212,4213,4214,4215,4221,4222,4223,4224,4225,4231,4232,4241,4242,4243,4244,5111,5112,5113,5121,5122,5123,5124,5211,5212,5214,5215,5216,5221,5222,5223,5231,5232,5233,5234,6111,6112,6113,6114,6115,6121,6122,6131,6132,6211,6212,7111,7112,7113,7114,7115,7121,7122,7123,7124,7125,7126,7211,7221,7222,7231,8111,8112,8113,8114,8211,8212,8213,8214,8215,8216,8221,8222,8223,8224,8225,8226,8227,8228: